Is managing a technical team the same as managing all teams? No, not always. There are nuances specific to the environment, people and pace that affect what is expected of you when managing a technical team.
Common concerns we hear from those who attend this course include:
- How will I separate being a manager from being an expert?
- How will I get the best out of individuals and produce a high performing technical team?
- What are my strengths and those of my team, and how do I put them to best use?
- How do I deal with the challenges that managing a technical team can bring?
- How do I merge my technical and managerial skills for the greatest impact?
This workshop is based around up to date research about the most frequent challenges encountered by Technical Team managers, including what tech team members need from their managers, such as:
- Meeting the challenges of stepping up into a management role from a tech/specialist background
- Flexing your management style to avoid micro-management and delegate more
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Understanding and working effectively with the mind-set of technical team members
It’s also a great introduction to the general challenges of management and leadership, supporting you wherever your career may take you.
This workshop uses powerful ideas, activities and specially designed technical team case studies to develop your management and leadership skills, helping you get the best from your technical team. You’ll also have the opportunity to share ideas and experience with technical team managers from other organisations.
It’s divided into 3 and 2 day sessions to help you minimise the impact on your work and to allow you more time to put your learning into practice.