DevOps Engineers are focused on implementing and facilitating the use of DevOps practices within a business. This encompasses multiple stages of the software development life cycle, automating processes around development, testing and release for continuous integration of new features, and subsequent continuous delivery of a product.
DevOps Engineers will typically work as part of a larger team and will need context of both the development and technical operations aspects of a project in order to streamline communication between teams. They are expected to interpret design documentation and specifications defined and delivered by specialist members of the team, such as a business analyst or technical architect.
DevOps Engineers need:
- Strong logical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- A methodical, step-by-step approach
- Attention to detail
- Business skills like effective communication, teamwork and task/time management
- The ability to troubleshoot issues where needed
- The ability to work under direction, use discretion and determine when to escalate issues
To help you determine whether a candidate (a new hire or existing employee) will be working in a suitable job role to successfully complete this programme, you must be able to answer “yes” to the following questions.
- Will they be doing a full-time technical role revolving around coding, operations and the cloud?
- Will they be responsible for infrastructure and code pipeline projects and tasks?
- Will they be responsible for writing scripts and automation tasks?
- Will they be responsible for project-wide environment management both locally and in the cloud?
- Will they be responsible with deployment of code into enterprise environments?
- Will they be actively involved with coding in at least one programming language?
- Will they be working with databases and connecting to databases?